Lithosphere The Lithium Community

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

"Should" Moderators Be Allowed to Mark Solutions As Solved?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Just wondering how many communities allow their moderators to mark replies as "Solved" for the OR? Currently, we do not because we didn't want to drive bad behaviors with our moderators around goals/metrics but the question has come up quite a bit so just wondering what everyone else is doing.

Thanks for your time.

Stacia

14 Replies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: "Should" Moderators Be Allowed to Mark Solutions As Solved?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was going to say that we do, but before: what are the main typical tasks of your moderators?

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

currently Moderators are allowed to mark answers as accepted solutions in Telekom hilft Community. It is regarded as a sign of quality of the answer. Nevertheless, we try to get users to do that themselves. That would be much nicer.

BR

Jürgen

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Our community managers do. They have a good knowledge of the topic(s) they are responsible for and so it makes sense to let visitors know when an answer is right. We don't have moderators per se as it's covered by a 24/7 third party company with our CMs having the final say on more complicated issues.

Having said that when we measure our community health we only include accepted solutions from the author via the community admin statistic.

Malcolm.
Respected Contributor Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Jump to solution

Since I am a team of one Community Manager/Moderator I allow myself to mark solutions. Smiley Happy

However I only mark solutions currently where the original poster has clearly stated that the issue is resolved and there is a clear answer to how they did so. I first bookmark the post and wait for a week to allow them time to mark the post on their own before doing it myself. We also have a email that goes out during that time that asks if there issue has been resolved and prompts the user to mark the solution where applicable. 

Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi all, thank you for all the great feedback. A little background.  In the past, we had moderator specific goals tied to Forums activity metrics, and it caused bad behaviors in the community. Mods were replying just to reply, giving each other Kudos, etc to meet goals.  We changed out strategy and resolved the issue.

Now we are transitioning more of our customers to Forums only support and the question of allowing moderators to accept solutions has come up again.  Their main complaint is around posts that clearly have a solution but are not marked Solved. I could see the benefit of having a clear process in place that allows community managers or a small subset of high performing moderators to mark solutions as solved.

@JuergenM @Malcolm-M  @CyJervis Have you ever had members get upset when someone else marks their posts Solved?

@maounde our mods do the typical moderation best practices (move posts, reply to unanswered posts, enforce community guidelines, etc.)

Thank you!

Lithium Staff DeannaB
Lithium Staff

Jump to solution

Hi @stacias

All of the Communities I've been on as a Moderator/Community Manager I've had the ability to mark posts as Accepted Solutions, but we've also  promoted the Accepted Solutions feature in Moderator's signatures and as a featured post to encourage members to mark the answers themselves.

How the Accept Solution Feature helps the Community

Hope this helps

Lead Moderator
Social Solutions Consultant
Lithium Technologies, Inc.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

@stacias  In the case of mods as in rule enforcement (...) then our mods do have the ability to mark as a solution but rarely do. This is left to community managers, some employees and 1 specific community user role. we have a specific process around this. We basically allow these folks to follow up with the original on whether a reply is an actual solution. We have specific KPIs around this.

back to the Mod, most useful for them is the ability to withdraw a solution. this is frequently the result of a post wrongly identified as a solution and reported for this reason.

Respected Contributor Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Jump to solution

We haven't had anyone complain yet about the marking of a solution other than one person who commented that they didn't feel the marked solution was detailed enough. They were not involved in the thread to that point but was facing a similar issue and was looking for a step by step solution. I do agree with @maounde about the ability to revoke a solution being important as well. In our community, users can mark their own reply as the solution and sometimes do so without giving credit to the person who provided the answer. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes, I think mods should be able to mark solutions. Solutions help your customers find good content and answers.

If mods' misbehaving blocks one from allowing this then that's a separate problem that should be addressed, it shouldn't be a blocker.

Bottom line:

- Solutions are good, more solutions is better.

- If you can't trust your mods you have a problem and it needs to be resolved asap.

CM at Spotify
Community Ergo Sum