Lithosphere The Lithium Community

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What's your process for locking threads

Help me Oh Ye' Lithium Experts, you are my only hope

princess.jpg

We would like to start a process whereby we structurally lock posts after the OP confirmed the solution was resolved (accepted solution).

This, in our situation, keeps the thread clean and on topic and increases the chance of getting a solution (often if the conversation continues in a “solved thread” chances are that nobody is monitoring this thread thus the thread may remain abandoned, follow up posts are not getting a response). Locking the topic after its solved indeed forces a user to post their own question but we are considering benefits such as (if done in the right way)

- Better chance for the user to get a response

- a new chance for the expert answering to get credit. If experts follow up in a thread that has a solution but the conversation continues, there can not be 2 solutions in the thread (we have not activated that) thus he is not really getting the credit he deserves.\

-Reduces the potential for hijacking since these threads are unlikely to get a solution since the original poster is the only party to be able to request a solve.

Now. several ideas (Automatically Lock Solved ThreadsAuto-lock old topics where last post is older than x daysAutomatically insert/select message when block post for replies) have been logged already on this topic.

but today this remains a manual process.

However, 

It's not that straightforward to put this in a process though. There are many reasons to not lock a post, or many situations that can make the process become fuzzy. Which threads do you lock, all solved? Only solved? Older unsolved? Younger solved? How long do you wait, 1 week, 2 weeks,a month? 

Sometimes users click the solution by mistake or the issue reappears and then they can not reply. Or imagine they want to give a final compliment. you dont' want to miss out on that.

We find ourselves a bit  download (3).jpg   hence I am reaching out to you all

Do you have a process today whereby you manual lock threads? If so (yay for me) could you share some best practices with me (any thing is welcome in any format)

What criteria do you use, what rules?

When do you absolutely not lock a thread or when do you absolutely do lock a thread.

Since there is no systematic/automated process, how do you find threads that need locking. How do you easily see that they have not been locked already?

So much to think about but I am so confident that your comments will be very helpful!

Thanks!
Wendy

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Tags (3)
36 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your process for locking threads

Hi @Wendy_S,

I was talking to @JoeC about this topic last week. It's a huge one for support communications, and important for all others. 

Manual archiving = a lot of work! I could never justify that time spent archiving when it could be put towards helping existing users. 

At my previous community, we got a third party developer to create a simple system in which posts created more than xx days ago are automatically closed to new comments. It's something that the Lithium platform should definately offer.

You can see an example here - http://community.myob.com/t5/Getting-started-with/MYOB-Accounting-Plus-we-need-to-purchase-new-softw...

Basically we're just hiding the Reply buttons and putting a message at the top of the thread that says "This thread is now archived and closed to new comments. If you have a question please post a new topic."

We received no negative feedback following its introduction. We have had the auto-archive set at 6 months to be conversative but I think 3 months for a vibrant support community would be fine.

Also, in my conversation with Joe last week he talked about how search should play a role, which was a great point. It led to me posting this new idea - http://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Limit-search-timeframe-to-eliminate-archiving/idi-p/20...

Joe rightly pointed out that search should play a significant role in helping to combat the problem. If Community Managers could set the timeframe for how far back search produces results, then the need for archiving is eliminated. Search would provide always relevant and recent results. 

Hope that's helpful.

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Honored Contributor

I am so kudo-ing your idea Jason! It seems we're in the same "thought bubble" sometimes :-)

Indeed, the issue today with search is that we can not specify the exact time frame/date range. If we could, with Search, the process would become easier with regards to finding threads back.

On the criteria, it seems you used to have 1 rule, which was time bound, is that correct? Regardless if a post was answered or not, solved or not, after, a post created on date x would be closed after yy days.

We talked about this as well but we feel that "only" by timeframe, we might not being doing what is best for our community and customers.
We haven't found our secret sauce yet.

The ability to search by specified date range that would help a lot but I would really like to see a follow up there where Archiving/Locking threads becomes a full solution offering either by
the ability to set a flag on a thread when moderating (daily) or when bulk executing your archiving process through search. The flag would trigger the archiving process which would be
- inserting a specified text on the top/bottom of the thread
- block the thread for new replies
-add some type of indicator (backend) that the thread is locked (for reporting)

And it would process all flagged threads overnight.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jason, much appreciated!
Community Passionista!
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

@Wendy_S

Yes, the time since the thread was created was the only criteria.

We had other mechanisms in place to ensure every thread received a reply, so we were confident that our system was sufficient. For a support community I would consider that ensuring every thread receives a reply within a set period is a much bigger priority than archiving, so I would focus on that first. 

Generic1.jpg

0 Kudos

JasonHill wrote:

Also, in my conversation with Joe last week he talked about how search should play a role, which was a great point. It led to me posting this new idea - http://community.lithium.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Limit-search-timeframe-to-eliminate-archiving/idi-p/20...

Joe rightly pointed out that search should play a significant role in helping to combat the problem. If Community Managers could set the timeframe for how far back search produces results, then the need for archiving is eliminated. Search would provide always relevant and recent results. 

Great idea. I've added an additional feature idea in as a comment:

To add to the scope of this idea, it would be great if we could choose via Topic Options menus to hide specific pieces of content from search. This would allow another avenue to sunset content prior to the cutoff date described in the original idea above.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Jas @JasonHill If you have more info about how the auto archiving  can be done, I'd (WE) would really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Community Manager for Foxtel

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

Hi @niiiiiiiiiik

We engaged Hinterlands to do it for us mate. Give @cblown a shout and he could get the team to quote for you.

Hope all is well.

Jason

Generic1.jpg

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Brilliant, Thanks Jas!

Community Manager for Foxtel

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

We're going to make an attempt at automatically archiving threads where the last reply date is >1year. Archiving here means moving it to a hidden archive board and hiding the reply button. We'll add a note to set the right expectation and messaging (this thread has been archived, content may be outdated/not relevant anymore, you're welcome to create a new post here --link--)

That's the 1st step and seems pretty harmless but we will learn from this. We'll also automatically apply a tag so we can track these topics back :-)

Then, we really want to pilot marking topics with a solution as read-only. This will probably be semi automated...similar to the above.

Wish Lithium had some more content management capabilities. I think it is needed these days, especially now that communities become more popular, more mature, with lots and lots of content

Community Passionista!
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

Hey,

Just something to be aware of.. So I've got content from 2007 and it's been creating a lot of noise so I've been reviewing solutions and manually archiving content...

*** why of why, does lithium not have an archive solution ***

I've archived almost 1 million posts now and one of the biggest issues is that in 16.3 "I think it was" lithium decided to send an email to all posters of a post when it's moved with no way to stop it so as you manually "archive" you run the risk of spamming users, thankfully this alert seems to be hit and miss "maybe the volume I'm moving" but it's caused issues with members.

Locking solutions is a good idea but I don't personally have too much of an issue as topics seem to die after solved but well worth it if it's a valid solution.

Good luck archiving is hard work!!!

Stephen

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy