Lithosphere The Lithium Community

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Roles: I need a better understanding

Jump to solution

@DanK  I would prefer not to do it that way if I don't have to as there are quite a few sibling nodes where the role needs permissions and I would have to create the role under each one of those.   It should be simpler than that.    What I'm trying to do SHOULD work.  I need to find out why it doesn't.

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

When I was creating our superuser program we wanted expert users to be able to move posts to visible areas of community and also edit the tKB. To get the permissions right I ended up creating the superuser role on every single public category in the community and allowing the permissions I wanted at that level.

It makes sense that the permissions should work the way you are saying but I am not sure that they do or will.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Jump to solution

Ouch!  

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

The problem you can frequently run into is grant trumps deny, and the permissions are inherited from above. So if at the community or parent category level, you have default grant, then you can't deny as easily lower down.

It's complicated, but it can be done with experimentation. Without seeing from community level all the way down, though, I couldn't quite tell you where the error is. It's probably default granted somewhere further up the line when it should be default denied and then granted using the roles. You'll need to start at the top level and work your way down.

Becky Scott
Community Engagement Manager
Cloudera
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Jump to solution

Ok then.  It sounds like I need to remove the default access then grant access at ALL the lower level nodes.   That sucks. :-)   In all other community platforms I manage you can set all permissions for all roles at a node level.  All permissions flow downwards unless they are changed at the node level to grant OR deny.   Lithium role permissions need to catch up with what everyone else is doing. 

--
0 Kudos