Lithosphere The Lithium Community

Highlighted
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Logic for Which HTML Tags Are Allowed/Disallowed

I originally attached this to the article http://community.lithium.com/t5/Roles-and-permissions/Allowed-HTML-Tags/tac-p/217034 as a comment, but I thought this question needs to be asked here as well.

What is the overall logic behind which tags are allowed, and which attributes? It isn't obvious from some of the choices. For example, <DIV> allows "align" and "class" but <SPAN> only "class" and <P> only "align". And the "class" attribute can only reference an external CSS file, but unless the required "link rel=" statement already exists in the page header, the class isn't known.

Attributes are critical in formatting, and "simple HTML" allows almost none. It isn't even possible to make multi-level bulleted lists, which are used everwhere, because neither the direct attribute method, nor inline CSS is allowed.

This is only intended as an inquiry as to the overarching logic. Next steps depend on learnings.

2 Replies
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Logic for Which HTML Tags Are Allowed/Disallowed

@IngoS

Warren. We have had numerous conversations with our experts about this. I think the multi-leveled bulleted list came up pretty recent and our experts also feel limited in the use of simple html.

I support you on this one!
Wendy

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Esteemed Contributor Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Logic for Which HTML Tags Are Allowed/Disallowed

Likewise! Very curious about the logic as well. We had to allow employees and super users to use advanced HTML because they kept running into errors due to multi level bulleted lists - which to me SHOULD qualify as simple HTML.  Not 100% thrilled with that move, but it trumps getting daily reports from people having issues, and we haven't seen any abuse so far.

Julie Hamel
Director, Global Community @ Alteryx
Also previously known as JulieH