Lithosphere The Lithium Community

Occasional Contributor jmuzzana
Occasional Contributor

Allowing TKB authors to edit their own articles?

We recently implemented TKB in our community. We have created a new TKB author role and granted these users the "Start new articles and edit drafts" permission. However, we want these authors to also be able to edit their articles as updates are required. I have been told that it is essentially impossible and the only option is to grant the "create, edit, publish, and manage articles" permission. However, this would give all authors full control over the TKB. 

The other workaround I understand is that I can add the author as a co-publisher as I publish articles. However, this is also a bit of a pain to do on each article. (Edit article > Change author to co-publisher > Save > Edit article > Remove myself as a contributor > Publish).

I was initially under the impression that authors would be able to edit their own articles based on the "Start new articles and edit drafts permission" by default. However, support has just shared with me that is not the case and it will only allow an author to edit their draft of a new article. 

I am really confused by this because there is a setting to "Delete one's own articles". Shouldn't there be a  permission to "Edit one's own articles"? If it is indeed the case that authors can only edit articles by granting the "Create, edit, publish, and manage articles" permission, there seems to be no point to restricting edits on any articles. Any TKB author would just be able to edit any article; restricted or not. 

I appreciate any insight or advice! I feel like I must just be missing something obvious here.

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Allowing TKB authors to edit their own articles?

@jmuzzana, This Idea is already added here https://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Li-Product-Ideas/Edit-own-TKB-posts/idi-p/174439 and is Acknowledged by Lithium. But we still don't know the timelines and when it will be implement. Hope we can find better solution for this.

Do you know we work with Kudos and Accepted Solution.
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @jmuzzana -

Unfortunately, your understanding is correct. It's an all or nothing situation with TKB permissions. Cat Sad We have had to allow nearly all TKB permissions community-wide to ensure users can edit their own articles.

I hope to see improvements on this in the future! There's a lot that can be done around permissions and notification features for TKB.

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Community Manager @ National Instruments

Occasional Contributor jmuzzana
Occasional Contributor

@lilim and @Parshant, thanks for the information! Although it is unfortunate. I was really hoping I was just missing an obvious permission. Smiley Sad

There certainly seems to be a lot of room for improvement with TKB permissions!